Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Rawhidenlace

Rawhidenlace
2008 Arabian Horse Association OEIP National Mounted Shooting Champion

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

From the beginning


For the last several years a good friend of mine (Brad Abrams) has been after me to try Cowboy Mounted Shooting. I have until this January turned him down as I was very involved with my favorite type of riding sidesaddle.
I grew up learning the art from my Great Grandmother and had been riding aside from the age of 11. Brad kept telling me that I could ride aside while shooting and that if I would just give it a try I would love it.


Growing up as a kid, barrels and poles were not something that was allowed with my father as he always stated my sisters and I would ruin his saddle horses by chasing cans (barrel racing) and what good was pole bending for a cowhorse.

So with all this talk trapped in my head from my dad, the thought of running stages with poles, pylons, and barrels complete with 2 colt .45 loaded with black powder blanks wasn't to appealing to me. Until I got to watching some videos on YouTube and watching Annie Bianco-Ellett in action. I was hooked and Brad got his wish.





So this year I began on a journey with my show horse A Saber Salute who is now converted to CMSA and we both had allot of learning to do. Prefecting our neck reining, learning to shoot on a moving horse, cleaning guns, and Saber had to learn to be alone in the arena and trust me that the balloons were not out to get him!
I remember my first stage in Cloverdale, Indiana at the Grand Am hosted by the Indiana Rough Riders and the Illiana Rangers. I forgot that I had to pull the hammer back after each shot. After the first balloon burst and I just kept squeezing the trigger and nothing was happening. Then it dawn on me after I blew past the last balloon before the rundown barrel what I forgot. I was laughing so hard when I crossed the time line that Brad wanted to know if the gun had jammed? All I could do was explain it isn't semi automatic is it?!?












No comments: